HST/LBS 425, SS03
Schedule of Required Reading Assignments (revised to eliminate S&P)
13) Leavitt, chapters 1 and 2. In class we will discuss how to prepare a bullet-outline/structure of argument (SoA) worksheet.
15) Leavitt, chapters 3-5. In class we will discuss how to prepare summation (S) and thesis statement (TS) worksheets. Defoe, 6-20 (scan); set up thematic clustering [TC] worksheet for three rubrics for rest of the Defoe's Journal: contagion, effluvia/miasma, and various responses to the epidemic.
20) No class meeting (MLK day), but prepare the following to hand in on 22 January: Leavitt, chapters 6- conclusion (in advance of class, prepare bullet SoA for conclusion and a TS covering the entire book).
22) Also due at this meeting: PV-J's mailbox in 301 Morrill Hall. Defoe, 23-97 (to paragraph that begins, But now the fury . . . .) (thematic clustering [TC] worksheet for three rubrics outlined on 15 January).
27) Defoe, 97-256 (continue TC).
of Defoe's thesis.
***31) First 5-page essay due by 4:45 in PV-Js mailbox
in 301 Morrill Hall (or slip under door to 328 MH). February
3) Rosenberg, 1-98 (beginning with this assignment, any assigned worksheets will be announced at a prior class meeting).
***31) First 5-page essay due by 4:45 in PV-Js mailbox in 301 Morrill Hall (or slip under door to 328 MH).
5) Rosenberg, 99-172. Snow, On the Mode of Communication of Cholera (MCC) on course web site.
10) Rosenberg, 173-260.
12) Rothman, ix-74 (and relevant notes, beginning 259).
17) Rothman, 75-175 (and relevant notes).
24) Rothman, 176-258 (and relevant notes).
26) Deadline for signing up for Honors Option. Finish discussion of Rothman. Review.
***28) Second five-page
essay due by 4:45 in PV-Js mailbox in 301 Morrill Hall (or slip under door
to 328 MH).
10) Jones, preface, chapter 2.
12) Jones, chapters 3-5.
17) Jones, chapters 6-10.
19) Jones, chapters 11-14.
24) Ryan, preface & chs. 1-6.
26) Ryan, ch. 7; N&W, preface & chs. 1-4.
***28) Skeletal revision of first essay due by 4:45 in PV-J's mailbox in 301 Morrill Hall.
chs. 5-8; Ryan, chs. 8-12.
2) Ryan, chs. 13-17; N&W, chs. 9-10.
7) N&W, chs. 11-15; Ryan, chs. 18-19.
9) Berliner , Flexner Report, and organization of health care in the US, UHP Organ2 on course web site.
***11) Worksheets on evolutionary medicine unit due by 4:45 in PV-Js mailbox in 301 Morrill Hall.
14) Models of health care, UHP Organ1 and UHP 3 nations on course web site.
16) Access to health care, UHP Access on course web site scan read.
21) Hillerman, chapters 1-16.
23) Hillerman, chapters 17-28.
25) Processfolios and Honors Option essays due by 4:45 in PV-Js mailbox in 301 Morrill Hall.
28) Final Examination period, 5:45 7:45. Final examination worksheets on Hillerman's Sacred Clowns due at 5:45; discussion of Hillerman. Write course evaluations.