Abbasid Civilization - religion, philosophy, science,
literature, arts and law
The Pharmacy - from De Materia Medica
of Dioscorides. Arabic translation,
Baghdad, Iraq, 1224 (621 A.H.}
Metropolitan Museum of Art, new York: Cora Timken Burnett Bequst, No.
- First Essay Due Tuesday March 1. Exam/Essay
- There is no class on Thursday, March 3.
- Kennedy, 156-197.
- Gaston Wiet, "The Golden Age
of Arab and Islamic Culture." Study Guide for Wiet.
and one of the following [depending
on your preference for reading about law, medicine or science].
- Joseph Schacht, "Law and
Justice" in Islam. Study Guide for Schacht.
- Seyyid Nasr, "Science and Civilization
in Islam." Study Guide for Nasr.
- David W. Tschanz, "The Arab
Roots of European Medicine."
Complete one form this week - due Sunday February 27.
Additional Readings for Week Eight