J. Schacht. "Law and Justice". Study Guide
1. I'm sorry that there are quite a few legal terms [English] in this
piece, and you may need to look some of them up. The law has developed
quite a vocabulary that is not in common use among us ordinary people.
About a few Arabic/Islamic terms you may need to refresh your memory.
2. According to Schacht, what were the origins of Islamic Law?
3. What was the relationship between Islamic law and religion?
- "the caliphs of Medina"
- 23/644 = the Muslim year/the Common Era year
- "ritual" in contrast to "worship"
- "concubinage" as different from "polygamy"
- first/seventh century = Muslim/Common Era century
- law of procedure
- cautelary advice
- the Maghrib
- fait accompli